Diabetes w/out antibodies?
My 5 yr. old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes one month ago. When we had our first Dr.'s appt. she told us that he did not have the antibodies for diabetes.  What does this mean?  Will he eventually stop needing injections or should I request other test for some other health issue?  We did "catch" the diabetes early..before any complications but she didn't explain well why he didn't have the antibodies and said we would test again in 1 year.
Any suggested information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello.  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  I'm sorry to hear about your son.  It's not unheard of for there to be no antibodies if the diagnosis is early enough and your child is way early in their honeymoon.  You don't mention what symptoms you say which triggered the diagnosis, nor what his score at diagnosis was.  Did he have ketones at diagnosis?  This information could be useful in providing better information.
His symptoms were extreme thirst, hunger and bed wetting(something he didn't do even when he was being potty trained).  He lost about 1lb.  When I took him to his Pediatrician just to see what was going on with him they rushed us to the Peds. ER.  He did not have ketones but his BS level was over 400 and his HBA1C level was 11.  Now, he has gained 3lbs and his HBA1C level is 8.6.  So I guess it is really early.  I have a 7 year old and I know she has a chance of developing diabetes but I don't know if I should test her.  One doctor said to test her and others said to just look out for the signs llike I did with my son.  Thanks!
Thanks for the information.  I'd agree that you just may be early on.  Those are essentially the same symptoms and numbers that my daughter had at diagnosis, we never asked if she had anti-bodies or not.  We have our endo appointment tomorrow morning, I'm going to ask.
Also, your other children have the same chance to develop diabetes as your son.  That is both good news and bad news, as your son has been diagnosed, but the rate of diagnosis in kids is 1 in every 500.  So the chances are low.  But I would still test.  There is a national study going on that will test you and your child's siblings for free just for participating (if you qualify).  Here's the info:

http://www2.diabetestrialnet.org/

We took part in the study, and I'd recommend anyone to participate.