Diabetic coma
My step sister is in ICU from a diabetic coma. When I found her, she was barely breathing, and she was probably in a coma about 5 hours before help arrived. Now she has been in the coma around 27 hours. The doctors are talking about brain damage from lack of oxygen. When they tickle her feet, her toes go straight instead of curling up.
How long does people usually stay in this type of coma and what's with her toes not curling up?
I am so sorry to hear that! It's a good thing she had you around to find her. I can't speak to the length of coma - you'll need a medical answer for that. I wouldn't worry about the straight toes - it's an indication she feels it! Think about when you have a foot cramp - you straighten your foot out and toes. It's probably something like that.

Is this typical for her? Not the coma, but bad lows?

Stay by her when you can - or get a family member to help. They say people in comas can hear what you say. I've been in a couple of lows where I couldn't communicate but was completely coherent of what was going on around me.

How are you doing? That must have been very stressful for you! Do you have someone around to talk to about this?
Tha plantar reflex [straight or curled toes] is a sign of neurilogical function.  Ask her doctor to explain how it relates to your sister's condition.