Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Diabetic seizure or alchohol-related seizure??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Diabetic seizure or alchohol-related seizure??

I have had 2 seizures in the last year that my doctor says were alchohol-related.  However I hadn't had more than 4 drinks.  I have juvenile diabetes and my blood sugar levels were low both times I had seizures.  Is it possible that these were diabetic seizures?  What causes a diabetic seizure and how do I know which type of seizure I had?  And this is a little bit off topic, but I want to know if I can safely have 1 drink.  I haven't had one in 6 months because I don't know if I should.  Any help with this greatly appreciated :)
Related Discussions
My first question to you would be how honest you are being, with your doctor or with yourself about your alcohol use. Doctors don't tend to refer to alcohol related seizures without some reason. And alcohol related seizures don't occur from drinking too much but from alcohol withdrawal in someone who is addicted. If alcohol has been a problem for you, I would continue with your sobriety; you've gone six months so keep up the good work. Have you had a seizure since soon after you stopped drinking?

As for diabetic seizures they usually happen with extremely low blood sugar. How low were you? If you have frequent serious lows you need to monitor your blood sugar more often and treat anything under 60 and also to look at making changes in your insulin dosing.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
shailendrajha196 commented on MedHelp Expert Named ...
Jul 01
Blank
5skid commented on Portion Distortion: H...
Jun 20
Blank
wordupministry commented on Portion Distortion: H...
Jun 20
Diabetes - Type 1 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...
1 hr ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
This is Driving Your Emotional Eati...
Jul 02 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
5856747_tn?1403352282