Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Dieting help - Ketosis

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Dieting help - Ketosis

Say you were about 16, anemic, and borderline diabetic. Would the Ketosis diet do any good in this situation? Please help and give detailed answers please, and if you know anything that would make following the diet easier, I would be much obliged in hearing it.

my first question is are you overweight?

I am concerned about the anaemia. Is there a known cause?

I would be cautious about a ketotic diet, to make sure you are getting plenty of vegetables, healthy proteins and fats.

If you are overweight I would recommend that you cut out all junk food, soft drinks and fruit juices.  Limit carbs such as bread, potato, rice, pasta, cookies to small portions only.  Do not eat too much fruit.  Probably a reasonable amount of fruit would be 2 - 3 pieeces a day.  

Eat regular fat foods: cheese, yoghurt, etc.  But make sure they are not sweetened.

Read labels on foods and avoid any food that contains high fructose corn syrup.

What should you eat:  Meats (other than sausages / processed meats), all vegetables (please limit corn and potatoes though) in large portions.  Use olive oil and other vegetable / nut oils.  Avocado is good.  nuts are fine.

Are you white?  Of european ancestry?  If so, you may wish to google celiac.  this is intollerance to gluten and can result in anaemia?  See if there is any likelihood of this.  If so, please consider trying a gluten free diet.

Avatar n tn
slightly so, yes.

my anemia is due to my mom not having enough iron for us both during pregnancy.

and i'm irish/german, so i will look into that, thank you very much for your help(:
Your Mum's being anaemic when she was pregnant with you should not have any impact on you being anaemic now.

Did you have a blood test to tell that you are anaemic?

Best wishes anbd happy new year.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr uploaded new photos
Aug 25
Nighthawk61 commented on Nighthawk61's status
Aug 10
Nighthawk61 commented on Guest1992's status
Aug 08