Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Do I have Diabetes?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Do I have Diabetes?

My urine smells sweet and i've been drinking and lot of water. And i going to the bathroom alot more often. i get headaches.. and im dizzy when im stand, like i said before i have been drinking a lot of water. So can anyone help me? My Mom wont take me to the doctor... cause she thinks im fine. and i have had frequent urinary tract infections. So can anyone help me?
It isn't insulin levels that need to be checked, but blood glucose also called blood sugar. Sweet smelling urine, however, could be the sign of ketones which is caused by sustained very high blood sugars. It is nothing to mess around with. Your mother is wrong and risking your health, you need to be seen by your doctor ASAP. If you start vomiting or experiencing flu-like symptoms, you need to go to the ER.
Those are all signs of diabetes,Tell your DR. about your concerns. or possibly you could get your insulin level checked at a pharmacy..or clinic. to see where your insulin levels are. and keep record of date and time of day..before and after meals. keep a baseline of where your insulin levels are now. diet and exercise are important. Good luck. MaritimeFox
Hi, So are you very thirsty all the time? pee so often that you wish you had the toilet right next to you so that you wouldn't have to walk to the bathroom every 5 minutes? how is your vision? Is it blurry.
These are some of the things that happened to me.
If you want to know more about Diabetes. Then here are some links that might help you.
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/a-z.asp

http://health.yahoo.net/channel/diabetes.html

Copy and paste these links into your browser to learn more. Okay.
Have a nice day.

Well my mom still wont take me to the doctor...... i showed her your comment! So what do you think i should do?
Talk to a school guidance counselor or better yet nurse and tell them of your symptoms and concerns. Or speak to another trusted adult in your life and have them help you. I didn't want to scare you, but if you have type 1 diabetes and it is untreated you could end up in the hospital with something called DKA which can be life threatening. I'm not a doctor so I'm not able to say that is what you have, but it is better to be safe.
thanks. i will try that. thanks so much for your help!