Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Excessive Caffeine bad? (non-diabetic)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Excessive Caffeine bad? (non-diabetic)

I had about 8 shots of espresso for cramming for exams. I experienced the normal caffeine crash and then later the next day, I decided to get a pizza. About an hour after eating the pizza, I checked my sugar to see if it was low (i got a meter to check for suspected hypoglycemia). The reading was 297. This was back in october. I checked frequently to make sure everything was ok. It peaked at 150 a few times but nothing more. Then a week ago, I had a peak reading of 207. Then it went back to normal. Could the high reading be caused by caffeine or the aftereffects of it?
Related Discussions
Hi Firenfire!  I am not a medical professional, just the mom of a type 1 diabetic, so any information you receive here should be verified with your healthcare team.  I have not had any experiences with a high bg being the result of too much caffeine, but perhaps others will share their experience with you.  Sounds like you should head to your doctor's for some blood work based on the bg's that you've been having.  Some of them were quite high so you really should have a fasting glucose test to be sure.  Have you experienced any of the other typical signs of diabetes such as extreme thirst or frequent urination?  Please visit the jdrf website at www.jdrf.org for more information, especially if it is determined that you have diabetes.  Best of luck to you.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I have moderate thirst with moerate urination. But no hunger. I tend to eat 2 times a day. Another thing I do have is high blood pressure which is unusual since I'm 6'2 and 152 pounds.
Blank
I don't know if this has anything to do with the diabetes, but I saw my doc today, I have an ulcer and acid reflux...never had problems before the diabetes, but he blamed it on my coffee drinking, and I'm not allowed to have caffeine anymore.
Blank
Wow, firenfire, those seem like really high blood sugars for a non-diabetic.  You should definitely go to a doctor and tell them all of this.  Although I'm curious about what would have prompted you to get a glucose monitor in the first place if you have not been diagnosed with diabetes.  The caffeine would not cause high blood sugar but that pizza sure could!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
siwells48 commented on Portion Distortion: H...
12 hrs ago
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on my broken ankle.
Aug 17
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on photo
Aug 16
Diabetes - Type 1 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703