Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Foot infection

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Foot infection

My ankle bone has been sore today, and my son pointed out that there was a very tiny scab on it. My husband took a look at it for me, it is about 1 mm across, and when he prodded it, it came off and very thick white pus began oozing out of it. The whole area around it is sore, about the size of a quarter.

I won't be able to get to a doctor until at least Friday, because our car is in the shop and we live way way out in the country. In the mean time, how can I keep the infection from progressing? Should I pour rubbing alcohol on it or something like that? Antibiotic ointment? Any advice will be very helpful. If the pain gets much worse or spreads, I will call an ambulance and go to the ER, but without insurance I really need to avoid that kind of expense if I can.
  • nerve damage (1 replies):
    hi am a diabetic and i was admitted to hospital and they...[more]
  • blisters (1 replies):
    i have a 9 year old son who has had blisters growning on...[more]
  • Foot pain (1 replies):
    I have been a type 2 diabetic for 7 years now. I have n...[more]
  • Swollen ''Big Toe'' (2 replies):
    First off i do not know if I am in the right forum but h...[more]
  • blister care (8 replies):
    my 80 year old fatherinlaw is a type 2, insulin dependan...[more]
Hi there,
I'm sorry about your pain. This is a forum for type-1 diabetics, and I'm afraid I don't know much about infections. That said, yes, it makes sense to clean it with warm water and soap and put some antibiotic ointment on it, and try to keep it elevated until you can get to the doctor. Good luck with it.
I'm a diabetic, I thought foot infections were a diabetic complication. Sorry for misposting.
You are correct that foot infections can be a problem for diabetics. So don't apologize, for your question is a smart one... and yes, DO watch it carefully and clean it. You also might want to avoid wearing socks or shoes on that foot (slippers will keep the wound free of other contact) so as to avoid contact between the infected area and anything that might contain other bacteria. Do go to see your doctor soon, just to be safe. If you notice any increase in swelling or redness )or other discoloration) or pus continues to come from the wound in spite of your care for it, then I would indeed go to see an emergency room doctor. Diabetics often don't have good circulation in feet and also sometimes don't have as sensitive nerves in feet if nerves have been damaged by the disease. So foot infections are more dangerous for the diabetic than for other people. Do try to keep your glucose levels down as normal as possible, too, for this will help your body work better to fight off the infection.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
specialmom commented on photo
MH Community Mgr uploaded a new photo
Aug 27
TrishaHicks commented on Portion Distortion: H...
Aug 24