Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Gradual declining blood sugars

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Gradual declining blood sugars

I've had type 1 Diabetes since I was 8 and I'm now 20 years old. I've never had the least bit of complications until recently. I use syringes with humalog and the long-term insulin lantus. After exercising one day and adjusting my humalog accordingly my blood sugars crashed, I had been running everyday after school for two weeks. I would decrease my insulin by a third at dinner and took some supplemental carbs. After around three treatments of the same low it came up. After this I decided to stop exercising for a while so I could regroup and try again later. The following night I started to have insomnia and life became very stressful. Ever since then my blood sugars would be in the 200 hundred range in the morning, then gradually decrease throughout the course of the day, and by the time it would be dinner time they would be around 80. Two hours after every meal my blood sugar will increase ten points, but by the next test it would fall. My doctor has my on a 1/5 insulin carb ratio in the morning and 1/8 at dinner and lunch.
My Lantus dosage is at 28, it used to be at 25 since my doctor changed it before all this happened, but it my glucose would by high most of the night when it was. Now I always wake up between 1-3 am with a low.
Sometimes I get low before dinner. It seems like I'm just in an endless cycle and I don't really know how to get out of it.
Any suggestions? Any ideas at what this could be?

sounds like your insulin is not corre tly matched to your foods / activities.This can change over timne.

Have you done basal testing to work out what your basal insulin dose (that's the lantus) should be.  The bolus (Humalog) should be matched to what you eat.

Please look up the following books, which can give you really good information on self management (and which will be complementary to waht you're doing with your doctor):-

Think Like A Pancreas (excellent book for how to adjust insulin, including for exercise).

Diabetes Solutions - Dr. Richard Bernstein (He also recommends low carb diet).  But the book has heaps of technical information about management and meds.