Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Hair Loss

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Hair Loss

I want to know about Hair loss and Diabetes. Well I have Diabetes for over 2 or 3 years but the Doctors think Ive had all y life but it really never got bad until I got older. And when i found out i had it i started loosing my hair a lot of it. And im still loosing it but slowly. And i want to know how i can fix it or if i can fix and re-grow my hair again. And what causes Hair loss in Diabetics.
I'm assuming if you are posting on this board you are talking about Type 1 diabetes not Type 2? It doesn't make too much sense for doctors to say you have had it all your life but it didn't get bad until you got older. Type 1 means an immediate cessation of insulin production and you need insulin or you will go into DKA and die in a matter of days. If you have Type 2 (or even LADA-adult onset type 1) that is different.

I have never heard of hair loss from diabetes, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen? Have you discussed this with your endocrinologist?