Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Help with Heroin and Type 1 Diabetes

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Help with Heroin and Type 1 Diabetes

Everything seemed fine for my daughter, she was well educated and held a good job, never in any trouble.  At age 29 She lost weight and was "out of it" a lot and was "nodding off"  drowsy and sick a lot. We found out she has type 1 diabetes. For the next year she could never keep it under control and continued to be sick, sleeping a lot, got 12 cavities (never had a cavity in her life). This month we find out she has used heroin.  She says she is not an addict and only tried it, but it would explain why the cavities, out of control blood sugars, sickness, weight loss (97 lbs). thinning hair, absesses on her arms, A1c was 15 and depression to name a few. I'm thinking perhaps she has used heroin the whole time and perhaps her newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes could get under control but drug use is the reason for most of these health problems.  I want to believe her, but can't imagine that the diabetes is causing all these problems. It breaks my heart. Could anyone enlighten me.
Tags: help
You poor dear!!! I'm afraid I have no advice for you as my teen is only known to do E and pot and is not a diabetic like me. Reading your post, from a internal sense, I agree with you - I feel she has been using and more than once. It's a tough road you and she are facing, especially if you are going to try to "fix" her. Unfortunately, as she is not a minor, unless you can convince her to check herself into a clinic, and preferably one that you live at - unless you can convince her that she has a problem, you won't be able to fix it.

My heart goes out to you. Hopefully someone here will have better advice. We are here for you.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr is off for the night. Comment
leesymiller added the Addiction Recovery Tracker
Jun 28
senseanonymous  commented on photo
Jun 28