Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Help

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Help

Could a woman get pregnant if she had type 1 diabetes and did not controll it at all? I know not controlling it causes problems with pregnancy if you were to conceive. But is it even possible to conceive with no controll what so ever?
Hi, I have type 1 diabetes and for the longest time at first I was told I prob couldnt have children and if I did get preg there was a huge chance something would be wrong with the baby or it would die i would die or both! so I didnt really think I could get preg bc my boyfriend and I had been having unprotected sex for years and I never did on top of what I was told by drs. My A1c was wayy high when I found out i was preg at age 18 and I was terrified. But I worked really hard and brought my A1c down to 6.5 the best its ever been and I now have a beautiful healthy normal 2 year old little girl and I am just fine :) so it is def possible its just alot more risky for u and the baby if you get prg without control over your health is all so i think drs just tell you alot of that stuff to scare wemon into taking better care of there self so they will be able to have a baby. I switched drs after I found out I was preg and he told me that what I had been told all that time was a huge line of bull. that it is 100% possible to have babies if you have diabetes it just needs to be planed . I hope that was helpful and would love to answer any other questions you may have :)