Diabetes - Type 1 Community
High and low blood sugars

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

High and low blood sugars

My 2-1/2 year old daughter is extremely thirsty all the time and urinates constantly. She has blood sugars that range from about 50 in the morning to 140 in the afternoon, even if she hadn't eaten anything since breakfast. This worries me because my mom became diabetic at age 3, my sister at age 14 and my mother-in-law became diabetic in her late teens. Do any of you think I should worry about her current symptoms or should I just chill out a little?

Thank you all very much for you inputs.
I am not a medical professional however it is extremely important to have her tested.  Your family doctor can refer you to a specialist or endocrinologist.  A simple blood test can help a lot.  

These symptoms might be diabetes or something else. Its better to know than to be in the dark about the symptoms.  When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I drank water all the time, had to go to the bathroom a lot as well.

I went in to see my doctor and got checked out right away and was feeling better within two weeks. I hope this helps.
Hi, Ky's Mom!  I'm not a health professional, but I am the parent of a child with diabetes.  A normal range for a healthy child is around 70 or 80 at the low end and around 110 to 120 for the top end.  Your daughter's scores aren't that far off, but in my non-medical opinion as a parent, it's always better to be safe than sorry.  Combined with the fact that she's constantly thirsty and urinating frequently, I'd suggest you make a visit to a doctor to ease your fears.  Good luck.
Do note that the normal range that is often listed is a range that is normal when fasting, or before eating. That range varies a tiny bit, depending on the doctor, but the range is close to 70-126, give or take a few. From what I have read, the normal levels are elevated after meals, and I have read that levels up in the upper 140's can be considered normal after a meal. So your daughter's numbers are pretty close to normal. Variance of course can be due to accuracy or lack of accuracy of a home glucometer. You might want to take note of how often she urinates (write it down so that a schedule of sorts is evident to her doctor) and ask that she be tested. Even annual testing would not be unreasonable with the family history of type 1 diabetes. Her doctor should be able to let you know whether your concerns are unfounded or not, based on accurate blood tests. Also, IF her pancreas is under attack by the body's immune system (on its way to becoming a type 1 diabetic), certain antibodies would be present. You may want to have her tested for the presence of these antibodies. If they are NOT present, then her body is not attacking her pancreas cells. This test may be the best one to ask to have done to allay your fears or to substantiate them. If these antibodies are present but her glucose levels are still normal, her doctor would know that he or she needs to monitor this child carefully so as to catch diabetes quickly if it does happen. If these antibodies are not present, then you can relax at this time.