Diabetes - Type 1 Community
High blood sugar and muscle cramps

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

High blood sugar and muscle cramps

I was wondering if anyone knew what that "tight" feeling is that occurs in your muscles when your blood sugar is high? (It kind of feels like lactic acid.)

Yes I know what this is: It's most likely magnesium depletion. It's like a burning in your legs, hands, forearms - I have had this on and off for the 17 years I've had type 1 diabetes. When I was hospitalized for insulin purging (I have diabulimia) , it turns out that high blood sugars for a long time (sometimes for a week or more) leads us to urinate most of the magnesium (and sometimes potassium) away, and that causes the cramping. I particularly get this just before my period starts!
Getting my blood sugars under better control and drinking the new exercise-friendly diet iced teas by nestle sure helps with it. Eating a half a banana a couple of times a day as my fruit choice also helps.

Hope this helps you too!

Hope you feel better soon!
I KNOW beyond any shadow of a doubt what causes my muscle cramps
commonly called charlie horses.  It is SUGAR.  I cannot eat even a small
amount without horrendous pain.  The cramps occur in my hands, feet,
calves, thighs, and even my sides and sometimes all at the same time.
It turns me into a human pretzel.  Needless to say that is incentive enough
to not touch sugar, however even a food with as small as ten grams can
cause cramps although not to the extent that say a candy bar would
cause.  I cannot eat dried fruit although I can eat most fresh fruit in
small servings.  Now I would just like to know WHY this occurs.
What does sugar do to my body to cause the cramps.  Is it not
enough insulin, too much insulin, or not insulin at all.  Or something
altogether different.  I would appreciate a response from anyone who
might know the answer.  I do take calcium and eat lots of vegetables
and some fruit each day.
You are the first person I have heard to say this and just discovered this for myself. Before menopause this would happen occasionally but after menopause it happened quite often until I made the connection.  I think it must have to do with the beginnings of type 2 diabetes as I have read that many diabetics get leg cramps.  The great news is that I have found a wonderful candy bar, albeit expensive, that I can have.  It's called Lily's, with stevia.  The other cool thing is that I once thought the caffeine in chocolate was what made me have cramps but now I know it was the sugar!  The inulin in them does all kinds of wonderful things, too, like helps me sleep since inulin promotes calcium and magnesium absorption.  Good luck to you!
I don't know the answer. I am in my seventies am not a diabetic but I do have an insulin intolerance, often described as pre-diabetic. The net effect is if I eat sugar containing products my blood sugar rises just as if I had diabetics.
I have been a runner for most of my life after running would sometime get killer cramps as you describe. I now have made the connection to when I have sugar containing products such as Gaterade or a dessert. I have noticed After consuming sugar I drink a LOT of water. This must lower my blood electrolytes causing cramps. I expect the thirst is not only from the sweat loss and exercise, but an attempt by my body to expell the sugar.
In any case less sugar fewer killer cramps. When consuming a lot of water I drink I put in a little electrolyte powder or table salt. In my case the salt does not elevate my blood pressure, I expect because of the exercise.
So for what it is worth, it took me a long time to figure it out, but I expect that is the reason and solution.