Diabetes - Type 1 Community
How do u get diabetes

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

How do u get diabetes

how do you get diabetes? is it contagious? how can i tell if i have it? my cousn has diabetes and I was just wondering.

thanks
jen
  • Contagious? (6 replies):
    I know that diabetes is not contagious but i just starte...[more]
Type 1 diabetes occurs when the pancreas fails to make enough insulin to keep blood glucose levels in balance.  Generally it occurs in childhood or adolescence and it is not contagious; however family history can be a risk factor.  In my experience with my son Jesse, he had extreme thirst, weight loss and fatigue.  Other symptoms can include blurry vision, numbness or tingling in the hands or feet or an increase appetite.  I recommend going to your physician for a simply blood test to determine if you have diabetes or not.  I wish you the very best, let us know how it goes, support groups can be a very big help.

If we can be of further assistance please don
Hello Jen,
Diabetes isn't contagious in that you can't "catch it" like a cold or a virus from someone else.  Researchers aren't yet 100% sure how we get it, but it seems to be partly genetic and partly environmental.  

It may well take time for your cousin to learn about his/her? disease and sometimes newly diagnosed people are private about it.  Often they & their families are scared and sometimes overwhelmed by all there is to learn & do.

I was diagnosed when I was a teen; I am now 48 and have done everything in high school, college, grad school, work, travel, relationships that I want.  You can encourage your cousin, too and the more you learn about his/her disease the more WONDERFUL your support can be.  It already sounds like you're a caring cousin, and please know that means a great deal to someone coping with a chronic disease.

You might like to follow the links to the JDRF website to read & learn about the research going on to find a cure.  There are great links that will also benefit your cousin, & your aunt & uncle.