Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Hypoglycemic and shaky feeling

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Hypoglycemic and shaky feeling

I am overweight 240 lbs and 5'7''.  I have noticed the last two weeks that I get shaky and weak feeling about 30 min. to an hour after eating.  My dad had diabetes along w/ several other family members.  I recently had my fasting glucose checked w/ regular lab work a month ago and all was well.  What could this be? Could this by hypoglycemia or the start of diabetes? What diet changes can I make to avoid this?
Thanks so much for your time!
Dear Barney,
      It could be hypoglycemia but this could be checked by eating something sweet and seeing if the symptoms go away. You may want to try eating foods that digest slowly to see if that helps prevent the symptoms. good luck, bret
I've had orange juice and 2 cookies and it has continued all day--this day the longest it's ever lasted.  Thanks for your help.
What is your exercise level the day of and day before the symptoms?  Try testing before eating, 1/2 hour after for 2-5 hours to establish some patterns about how your body assimilates food.  A gastric problem could be interfering with food assimilation by delaying the absorption of calories at the same time your insulin is lowering your BG.  Also, adrenaline will cause shakiness - has your doctor thought of differential diagnoses for you?  I find that when I gain weight that is put on as fat tissue, my absorption of insulin and matching dose to food intake gets all out of whack.  Fat tissue is much more difficult for insulin regulation as it is insulin resistant and when I take more insulin instead of using exercise to cover BG, sometimes it backfires.

tumtum