Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Hypoglycemic episode in a healthy 4 year old boy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hypoglycemic episode in a healthy 4 year old boy

This past weekend my little boy became very ill. He had several seizures which later we know was due to his blood sugar being 29. I followed up with his peditrician and he believes we should just wait to see if it happens again. He stated "This may be a mystery that we will never find the answer". He wants to make sure he also eats ever couple of hours. I am having a hard time waiting to see if it happens again. This was such a terrifying experience. As a parent I feel there has to be a reason the blood sugar dropped so low. Has anyone else child ever experience this before and what did you do? Did you wait or follow your gut and go ahead and schedule an appointment with a pediatric endocrinologists?
Related Discussions
I strongly urge you to see a pediatric endocrinologist.

"Wait and see if it happens again???" That is the most irresponsible thing I have ever heard a doctor say. If he is unable to figure out what is wrong, he should have referred you to someone who can. He should have at least done some tests for hypoglycemia and for diabetes!!

If you have to wait to see the endo you might want to get a meter and test his blood sugar periodically, especially if he feels "funny" or two hours after a meal; then you will have data for the endo. If he should become sick as in flu-like or with vomiting, go to the ER. (If he is diabetic and has high blood sugars for a period of time he could be experiencing DKA which is an emergency)

I hope you get some answers soon and yes, go with your gut. Let us know what happens.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now