I really need some help with this
I am a 27 year old type 1 diabetic with no health insurance. My last A1C was 5.9. I am active and run an average of 25 miles per week. About a month ago I rolled my ankle pretty severely. I took a few weeks off in order to rest accordingly. Exactly 2 days ago I am experiencing a non painful spasm/twitch in the affected ankle that happens every 3 seconds. I have iced and heated the ankle with no success to stop the spasm.
These muscle spasms can be due to dehydration, alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low calcium, sodium or potassium level) or trauma. If it persists then neuropathy(esp in diabetes),hypothyroidism,peripheral vascular disease,nerve compression should be thought of. Take some vitamin B 12 for some days and drink plenty of fluids. If it persists then get the above mentioned causes ruled out.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.