Illness/Stress Induced Glucose in Urine Toddler? Need Advice!
I would love to get some advice from a parent that has a child with type 1 diabetes, or someone that has type 1, thank you in advance!
My daughter is 4 years old and has had excessive thirst for years. We never thought anything of it until it became out of control as did her urinating. She drinks around 100 ounces of fluids a day and that would make anyone urinate often. After mentioning this to her doctor they checked her glucose and it came back normal, so we went with that meaning everything was okay.
A few months later we took her to the doctor because she had fever and we thought she had a UTI, so we tested her urine. The doctor also swabbed her throat. When he came back in the room he said she has strep and also a high amount of glucose in her urine. He sent us straight to the lab for another blood test concerned she might have diabetes. Came back normal.
About three months later I thought she had another UTI, so I took her to the Urgent Care and the doctor came in my room very concerned and said no UTI, but she had a high amount of glucose in her urine! They did a finger ***** and it was 256. I told her that my daughter had been tested for diabetes and the results came back fine. She said, well if she doesnt have it now, she will develop it later on~very reassuring..I called my doctor and they set up a fasting glucose test. That came back in the normal range. The doctor suggested that maybe she had illness induced the first time & stress induced the second time. Has anyone experienced this? Also should I be concerned when she is ill because she is spilling glucose?
This was almost a year ago and my daughter still drinks the same amount, but I havent worried about it too much, but when she runs a fever or gets sick, it really worries me. Should I be concerned about this being type 1 and get a second opinion? Thank you so much for any feedback!