Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Insulin inhaler????

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Insulin inhaler????

Hey there everyone. I am a diabetic....type 1 for 33 yrs. I just heard of an insulin inhaler anyone have any info on this? I currently use an insulin pump and would love to try something new.I would much rather have an islet cell transplant, but thats not going to happen too soon....any ideas on how to get into the beta testing for this???

thanks

steve
Dear Steve,
     i have only heard rumors about an insulin inhaler and like you would be interested in trading in my insulin pump for that. But i'm not sure of the mechanics involved in an inhaler like if it is possible to get accurate dosages of insulin that way. You may want to check the website for the JDRF or the ADA to see if there are tests going on in your area. bret
i thought it was FDA approved. Am i wrong? I tried to search on the net, but did not get the results i thought.
Hey there!   I did read on Yahoo and heard on radio a couple of weeks ago that the inhaler was FDA approved.  So you should hear exciting things soon..........I live in Canada so it won't be available to us as soon as you but can't wait for the good word.........sounds like a great step for my son's needs.
Here's website with good info:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_26804.html

I like to read stuff from the NIH (National Institutes of Health) because it seems like a very reliable source.
Just thought I'd share this bit of terrific news with all of you.  The FDA has approved inhaled insulin and I can give you a first hand account of how it works as my daughter was in an inhaled insulin study at our local Children's Hospital four years ago.  The device is manufactured by Pfizer.  I checked their website, but couldn't find any info on the device (?).
I would encourage you to ask your endocrinologist when it is going to be available to the public.  As far as how it works, it's great in my opinion.  My daughter's Ha1c never went above 7 while on it so it truly does the job!  There are little packets of insulin called blisters that come in 1,3 & 5 unit doses and you inhale enough to cover the carbs that you are going to ingest.  The inhaler itself expands to form a chamber that fills up with the vaporized insulin when you puncture the blister.  There is still one shot a day of long lasting insulin (my daughter was on lantus), but it sure beats the 6-7 shots a day of fast acting insulin that she was on prior to getting the insulin pump that she has now.  It's not a cure, but it sure is an improvement!
It's not approved yet - that's why it's not on Pfizer's site.  Might not be for some time.  More testing was requested by the FDA.  The Advisory Board recommended it - which usually indicates the FDA will approve it.  But the FDA sent it back for more testing because of possible side effects such a proteins forming in the lungs, acute asthma resulting from it's use, and inablity to truly control dosage.  I read on DLife and JDRF forums where Pfizer was going to try to re-scope who should be targeted for it's "Exubera" inhaled insulin - they're thinking of it more for Type 2 than a replacement for bolus shots for Type 1 diabetics.
Hi there, I'm health reporter in Toronto, I'm doing a story on insulin inhalers and I'm looking to interview a diabetic in Toronto who would is anxious for this technology to come on the market.
If you'd be willing to talk about how this technology could improve your life, can you email me back at ***@****

Thanks!