Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Insurance for diabetic supplies

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Insurance for diabetic supplies

I am at a stage where, due to problems not related to diabetes, I find that I am going for months without insurance and have to pay full price for Lantus, Humalog, etc.  I cannot afford $500-$750 a month for insurance and the co-pays above that right now.  When working full time, I usually am okay but my copays hurt even then.  Has anyone found any insurance or assistance in the form of lower prices for type 1 medical supplies?
Dear Paralegal,
     i am not aware of any insurance systems that one can change to that will cover diabetic supplies unless you become diabetic while on the insurance as after that most insurance plans i'm aware of will not treat a pre-existing condition. The only area i'm aware of that may have the information you desire is the American Diabetes Association. Hope they are a help, bret
Check out the website from the NIDDK on "Financial Help for Diabetes Care", here is the link.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/financialhelp/index.htm

Also, if you go to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Website, the have a blurb about financial assitance for diabetes (see below)

COPIED FROM the JDRF website: http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=103442#ocho

"There are pharmaceutical assistance programs offered directly by some drug companies for people with diabetes who have little or no insurance to help offset the cost of supplies or prescription medications.  The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers Association (800-762-4636) has information on such programs. Additionally, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) has a publication called "Financial Help for Diabetes Care." Order print copies from the National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse: 800-860-8747. "
Thank you so much for your informative responses.  I think that the state I live in mandates that insurance carriers cover diabetic supplies as a non-excluded pre-existing condition, because I have never had a problem.  They also usually only exclude other conditions 9 months to max of 1 year generally.  You might want to consider moving here!  I found this blurb/update on the internet for National Conference of State Legislatures:

"As of May 2004, forty-six states have some type of laws requiring health insurance coverage to include treatment for diabetes. The states not included are Alabama, Idaho, North Dakota and Ohio.  In 2002, Georgia and Wisconsin each passed an expansion of current coverage requirements. In 2003 Hawaii adopted a resolution to clarify its mandate of diabetes education coverage."

I am just complaining about the high cost of insurance, I guess. The drug companies have restrictions that often do no literally apply to my situation.  I find that there is much more available in the way of financial support for victims of heart attacks.  The fact that diabetes is ongoing and only a few of us have the IDDM type might be a factor.  It would be nice if a foundation would start up a grant program for financially traumatized diabetics.  I tend to under-treat to save money - go without testing and carry candy, for instance, when I have scrimped my way through a tight spot previously.  I don't think this is optimal and meet many diabetis who cannot afford to test 7 times a day to keep things under control.  

Is there anything we can do as a group?

I currently have a health plan with united uner my husbands cobra to (now) conversion plan. They r4ecently split our family plan into his (now also on medicare) and mine seperatly. The question I have is is there any Financial assistance program available to help me with my 550. premium. We previously were receiving help from an organization that helped due to his diability, now I pray there is also such an organizaion to help with diabetis.