Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Is glucose level too high for a 7 year old??

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I have read several of the questions about diabetes but never really got a clear answer as to what a normal glucose level is?
My 7 year old son urinates so frequently he drives us absolutely crazy and he has done so for a long time. He now has extreme hunger and thirst so I decided to test his glucose level. At bedtime it was 91 which I knew was in the normal range but this morning an hour after he ate breakfast it was 186 I tried to call the Dr. but they have not responded..Is this too high for him?? Should I worry??

Thank you ,
astraub
Avatar n tn
Hi Astraub,
I am a volunteer here with Type 1 diabetes which I developed as a teen. I can only speak from experience. I have read several articles on the internet from the ADA and have been told by my doctors that a normal after meal glucose reading (should be about 1-2 hours after a meal) is under 140. You do not state how long after the meal you tested your sons blood sugar. It may have been too soon to check and therefore giving you a distorted picture. Normal range for a fasting blood sugar (approximately 8 hrs) is 70-100. Random tests should be between 70-125. Now with that said I think you would recognize if your sons behavior is somewhat out of his normal routine. If you are concerned then definitely go see your Doctor. This would ease your concerns. A simple blood test would be able to tell you if your son is diabetic. Honestly you do not have enough information right now to start worrying. Frequent urination and thirst are signs of diabetes but again your Doctor is the person who can help you with this. Please keep in touch should you need further information. Good Luck  CG
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet