Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Is underarm odor a symptom of diabetes?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Is underarm odor a symptom of diabetes?

I am concerned because my soon to be 3 yr old daughter has many issues that point directly at type 1 diabetes.  It is a hereditary problem the stems from both sides of her genetics.  She is constantly wanting her drinks and urinates ALOT.  Also she has had body odor under her arms and even though its been around 90 degrees she complains of being cold.  And worse of all she basically got kicked out of her daycare facility due to bad behavior.  (crazy!)  Anyhow, i have had a hard time getting any of our small town pediatricians to listen to me and recently fought with a doctor to get some tests done because i feel something is drastically wrong.  This is not my first child and i am not one of those moms who constantly drag their kid to the doctor.  I would love some insight on any of my concerns until i can positvily get her tested and either clear her of having diabetes or get the help she needs if she does have it!  Help!!!

The constant, unquenchable thirst is a classic symptom of juvenile diabetes. The frequent urination also points to juvenile diabetes. I have never heard of body odor being a symptom. I've also never heard of cold being a symptom, but weakness, lethargy, and weight loss are all major symptoms - and the weight loss in particular could lead to feeling cold. As to behaving badly in daycare, irritability is among the major symptoms of juvenile diabetes. Be SURE to get your daughter to a doctor before - and I really hate to say this - it's too late. Untreated juvenile diabetes is life-threatening and, if ignored, leads to coma and death. It is a VERY treatable condition, but it MUST BE TREATED. She should have her blood sugar level and urine checked.
I totally agree with LadyinOlive. It sounds like diabetes and I have heard of diabetic having body odor. Please, see a doctor quickly.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Tuckamore commented on photo
Aug 30
specialmom commented on photo
Aug 30
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Aug 30