Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Islet Cell Transplant

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Islet Cell Transplant

hey, first of all,thanks for your responses on my last question. Made me look at myself in a differnt way, tho im still worried about all i asked(especially after having my teacher fall into a diabetic coma a few days back), butim confident that as long as i take care of my self, that i shouldn't have a problem.

Im just wondering, ive looked into this Islet cell transsplant many times. Read some of the pro's, and some of the con's.

I would like to hear what u know about this. Do u know anyone who has had it done? and what does he/she say about it.  And how likley is it, that i'll be able to get this procedure done within the next 5 or 10 years?

thanks in advance
Avatar n tn
Hi Steveman,
So glad you have a stronger "can do" feeling about managing your diabetes.  We do have lots under our control and our attitude is a big asset to help us deal with stuff that's beyond our control, too.

Islet cell transplantation is the subject of intense research study these days.  I'd encourage you to have a look at the JDRF website because they are one of the major sponsors of this work.

The website is:  http://www.jdrf.org/

It so happens that the RESEARCH highlight on that page is about further progress on the transplantation front.  I'm sure there're additional links to other articles that may include projections for 5+ years from now.

All the best
Avatar n tn
You are asking the question we all want an answer to and hope that we get someday soon.  I have had Diabetes for 39 years and I am looking forward to the day when they perfect the islet cell transplant.  At this time, as far as I know, the procedure is only being done on people who have a very difficult time controlling their diabetes and it is interfering with their daily functioning.  Transplant patients must take anti-rejection drugs and these can depress the immune system which can create other medical complications.  So for now, they are not recommending islet cell transplants for everyone.  The good news is that there is a lot of research going on to figure out how to do these transplants so that the anti-rejection drugs won't be needed. That will be the cure we're all waiting for!  Much of the money that JDRF raises is going toward this exciting research. In the meantime, the best we can do is use all the medical tools we have today to keep our Diabetes in the best control we can so we'll be in good shape when they figure it all out.  I am very optimistic that I will see a cure in my lifetime.  The advances that I have experienced thus far, as a result of research, have been miraculous and I am confident that they will find an answer.  
ES
Avatar n tn
There were 7 test cases in New Mexico (check with JDRF's website for the exact University that did it) where the islet transplants were done.  They were Type 1s, and the last JDRF reported a year ago, they were off insulin injections.  They have the procedure down to a slight invasive procedure .... the problem is - takes 2 cadaver doners per single recipient.  Not enough cadavers.  That is why they are looking to couple it with adult or regular stem cell research.  (Which thanks to a current U.S. President, is going no where for us at the moment).
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
senseanonymous  commented on FDA Debuts New Cigare...
Jul 19
MH Community Mgr added the Thyroid Disorder Tracker
Jul 12
MH Community Mgr added the Weight Tracker
Jul 12