Keytone issues
I'm a twenty one year old female who hasn't had any problems with her diabetes since 2004.  For the past week I've been feeling very nauseated and tired, so knowing the symptoms of keytones I checked them.  The strip read that they were "small".  I know that isn't a large number but my blood sugar was only 71.  
My doctor has always had me drink watered down  gatorade and take 5 units of humalog per step up in the keytones.  My concern however is that my bloodsugar is already on the verge of being low.
My question is why after so long might I be having this problem and how might I correct it.  
I drink plenty of fluids and monitor myself regularly.
A common misconception is that ketones are caused by high blood sugars.  They are actually caused by lack of insulin.  Have you been ill or something, which is causing your lows?  

Interesting that your doctor would recommend gatorade in any form for ketones.  I don't know i've ever heard of that, most doctors recommend straight water with the extra insulin.
He had me use gatorade and water mixed for the electrolytes.  
And no I haven't been sick lately, I've been having lows because of a new job I've just started.  We're still trying to figure out the new dosages for when I work.
I'm just worried about the ketones since nearly every time I've gotten them before I've ended up in the hospital for ketoacidosis.