Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Keytone issues
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Keytone issues

I'm a twenty one year old female who hasn't had any problems with her diabetes since 2004.  For the past week I've been feeling very nauseated and tired, so knowing the symptoms of keytones I checked them.  The strip read that they were "small".  I know that isn't a large number but my blood sugar was only 71.  
My doctor has always had me drink watered down  gatorade and take 5 units of humalog per step up in the keytones.  My concern however is that my bloodsugar is already on the verge of being low.
My question is why after so long might I be having this problem and how might I correct it.  
I drink plenty of fluids and monitor myself regularly.
Related Discussions
133273_tn?1201546209
A common misconception is that ketones are caused by high blood sugars.  They are actually caused by lack of insulin.  Have you been ill or something, which is causing your lows?  

Interesting that your doctor would recommend gatorade in any form for ketones.  I don't know i've ever heard of that, most doctors recommend straight water with the extra insulin.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
413014_tn?1207099729
He had me use gatorade and water mixed for the electrolytes.  
And no I haven't been sick lately, I've been having lows because of a new job I've just started.  We're still trying to figure out the new dosages for when I work.
I'm just worried about the ketones since nearly every time I've gotten them before I've ended up in the hospital for ketoacidosis.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now