Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Length of honeymoon period

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Length of honeymoon period

My 24-year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in October of 2002.  I am proud to say that she has been an excellent patient and adapted very quickly.  Already fit, she increased her aerobic workouts at her gym to 3-4 times per week and follows a good diet, although she eats pretty much what she wants in moderation while always counting her carbs.  She has been on Lantus and Humalog since diagnosis and does not currently have any interest in the pump.  Her last two A1c's were 5.3 and 5.2 respectively.  Her endocronologist says tests show that her pancreas is producing very little insulin.  My question is this--is the honeymoon period still present or is she doing this well because of her efforts?  Is it possible that she can maintain these results?
Dear butlergrad,

I am a volunteer and not a physician. I have a son who was diagnosed at eight years old and is now 27.

In my own opinion, your daughter, is maintaining an excellent A1c. Good for you all.

I know that the honeymoon period can last quite awhile, but it does end eventually. In my personal opinion, she seems to have one of the longest honeymoon periods that I have heard of. However you also stated that she is taking very good care of herself and I would depend on her endocronoligist for the best information.

I truly believe that your daughter is dealing with diabetes with a positive approach and this is probably why her A1c's are so low. It is completely possible to maintain the same levels of blood sugars when she is taking diabetes so seriously.

I might recommend for her to keep a log of her blood sugars to keep track.

Thank you so much for contacting JDRF, it was a lifeline for me. I would love to hear any response and also how your daughter is doing. I hope this gives you some information that can help.

Please follow the comments that may come with further information.
Best of Luck,
dm
I agree with dm here, your daughter is doing great.

I was diagnosed as a teen (~35 years ago) and sort of remember my honeymoon lasting about a year.  At that time, however, I was treated with oral meds and so I'm sure my cells were being stressed a LOT.  The more modern approach that your daughter's endo is **AND** your daughter's superb attitude and behaviors all contribute to her great results.

It is likely that she'll produce less & less insulin over time and yet all the coping skills and all the "eat in moderation & count carbs & exercise" will serve her very well long into old age (unless there is cure before then!).

I'm sure it's tough to be the parent of a diabetic.  All parents would rather carry this burden that watch their child do so ... and yet, you can be very proud that you've given her the courage & strength to manage this disease so well.  While we sometimes resist the well-intentioned questions & suggestions from our parents, I can tell you that having parental support & encouragement has always meant the world to me.
I am a type 1 diabetic who has been on insulin for 34 years. I, like your daughter, am very athletic and active, and my physicians suspect that after all this time, I may actually at times produce a tiny bit of insulin. My overall insulin requirements seem to be lower than most type 1 diabetics, and we cannot actually answer whether this is because of my active lifestyle and fast metabolism or whether I actually do produce a little insulin on my own. Your daughter may end up like me, or at some point her insulin requirements may go up. In any event, it really won't affect her life at all whichever way it goes, except for total dosage of insulin. Frankly, if her pancreas quits making insulin altogether, she may actually have an easier time of it, for I have found that at times my blood sugars actually drop low for several days without any reasons at all except the possible small amount of insulin I am suspected of producing.  Monitoring those drops can be tough, and may complicate your daughter's existance more than if her pancreas was doing nothing at all. I, too, use Lantus and Humalog, and am absolutely thrilled with the overall control and even-keeled glucose readings before and after meals. Your daughter and I may be the type of person that this combination works beautifully for, and I wish her continued good health.