Lower left back pain
I am a 20 yr diabetic female w/ a history of asthma and hayfever.  For the past 5-8 days I have been experiencing sharp pains on the left side of my lower back.  I am not confident about my back anatomy knowledge, but I am concerned this might be near my kidney.  The pain is at times very bad and makes it difficult to even walk.  Sometimes it is better and I can ignore it.  Often if I lie down in a certain position I can make it feel better.  

My hemoglobin a1C is 9.5% and recently in particular my blood sugars have run high.  The pain is very uncomfortable and would be distressing on its own, but most of all I am concerned that it is related to diabetes and/or my kidneys.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Katie
You should see a physician immediately.  If the pain is as bad as you say, making it difficult to even walk, you need to see a physician.  If as you say your blood sugars are now running high, you should not delay.
Do not wait for responses on the web.  
I wonder if you may be passing a kidney stone.....VERY painful....SEE a doctor.