Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Lyrica causing hyperglycemia

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Lyrica causing hyperglycemia

I started taking Lyrica due to nueropathy pain in my arms that made it difficult to sleep. Since I have started Lyrica ( i take one 50mg capsule before bedtime) I have noticed a very large spike in my blood sugar levels in the early hours of the morning. I have been monitering these changes and have done nothing different in regards to diet and insulin dosages. Last night when I went to bed my glucose level was 140, that was at 11:00 P.M., 4 hours after I ate a light dinner. I took 12 units of lantus as usual around 10:00 P.M. and woke up at 4:00 A.M. feeling "crappy", checked my glucose and it had jumped up to 410. This has been a normal occurance since I started Lyrica. I do not want to increase my Novalog dosages as I have had a history of nocturnal-HYPOglycemia. I don't know if the Lyrica is exciting my liver into somehow releasing glucagon or if it is rendering my insulin ineffective. I deliberately ate early last night so that the 140 reading would be accurate after all food had been digested. In the past a 140 in combination with my Lantus would mean that when I got up in the morning, my glucose would fall between 110 and 125 or so. What's up?
This is alittle late in coming, by 4 years almost, but in July 2011 I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was started on Lyrica 75 mg/2 times a day.... November 2011 I was hospitalized in severe diabetic distress. BG level 571 and urinating Kitones... my pancreas is now inopperable and clinically diagnosised as a type 1 diabetic.... have you been informed of any link to lyrica and pancreas related failure?
Yeah, lyrica is a nasty drug that raises peoples blood sugar and should be taken of the market."I was not a diabetic until i had taken the drug.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr uploaded a new photo
Jun 24
Avatar n tn
BatShevaSida commented on ANXIETY ATTACKS / INS...
Jun 11
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
May 26