Lyrica causing hyperglycemia
I started taking Lyrica due to nueropathy pain in my arms that made it difficult to sleep. Since I have started Lyrica ( i take one 50mg capsule before bedtime) I have noticed a very large spike in my blood sugar levels in the early hours of the morning. I have been monitering these changes and have done nothing different in regards to diet and insulin dosages. Last night when I went to bed my glucose level was 140, that was at 11:00 P.M., 4 hours after I ate a light dinner. I took 12 units of lantus as usual around 10:00 P.M. and woke up at 4:00 A.M. feeling "crappy", checked my glucose and it had jumped up to 410. This has been a normal occurance since I started Lyrica. I do not want to increase my Novalog dosages as I have had a history of nocturnal-HYPOglycemia. I don't know if the Lyrica is exciting my liver into somehow releasing glucagon or if it is rendering my insulin ineffective. I deliberately ate early last night so that the 140 reading would be accurate after all food had been digested. In the past a 140 in combination with my Lantus would mean that when I got up in the morning, my glucose would fall between 110 and 125 or so. What's up?
This is alittle late in coming, by 4 years almost, but in July 2011 I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was started on Lyrica 75 mg/2 times a day.... November 2011 I was hospitalized in severe diabetic distress. BG level 571 and urinating Kitones... my pancreas is now inopperable and clinically diagnosised as a type 1 diabetic.... have you been informed of any link to lyrica and pancreas related failure?
Yeah, lyrica is a nasty drug that raises peoples blood sugar and should be taken of the market."I was not a diabetic until i had taken the drug.