Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Medical Insurance

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Medical Insurance

Any suggestions on how to get insurance if I am an unemployed type 1 diabetic.
Avatar n tn
Hi Mindy,
From what I understand, it is a challenge to get health insurance if you're diabetic, but not impossible. Here are a couple of links to explore:
http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/healthcare/insurance.jsp
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/financialhelp/
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/diabetes.htm

It used to be pretty much impossible to get health insurance if you had diabetes, but 47 states now have laws that require insurers to offer some sort of diabetic coverage. If you're unemployed, Medicaid is also a possible source of help, so check there.

Good luck.
Avatar n tn
Here is another option for you. Please go to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation's website at www.jdrf.org and click on the link to the Online Diabetes Support Team. You will be taken to a page where you can fill out a short form in order to send a request to this team for online support. Tell them exactly what you wrote here, that you are unemployed and are seeking info about health insurance. Your request will be sent to a staff member who specializes in helping people who are seeking insurance help. He is a wealth of information and may have some info on help in your local area (you will have to give him the name of your city and state in your request).
Avatar n tn
I didn't have any health insurance for about 5 yrs and now that I have it through my work I have had to wait for 1 yr for a pre~existing clause.  It sucks but I do have something to look forward to (Oct. 1st).  All of my DRs have been really understanding and have tried to give me all of the samples they could of insulin and some even have given me discounted rates for the office visits.  I have been very lucky with my Health Care Professionals.  If you don't have any luck w/the diabetic sites I would for sure see if your DR could give you samples.  Good Luck I know it is hard w/o insurance, but you can do it.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr is off for the night. Comment
1 hr ago
leesymiller added the Addiction Recovery Tracker
Jun 28
senseanonymous  commented on photo
Jun 28