Diabetes - Type 1 Community
My 5 yr old and ketone levels

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

My 5 yr old and ketone levels

I took my 5 year old to the pediatrician yesterday because I suspected a bladder infection.  When they tested her urine, there was no sugar in her urine but her ketones were 160.  I don't have a clue what this mens other than that the pediatrician said we needed to test it again after she gets over this illness, which turned out to be strep throat.  I am just trying to find out what this could mean.  The pediatrician said that her strep didn't have anything to do with it and that we would test it again in the morning next week.  Is it better to do this with a blood test?  I am concerned and want to be sure I am doing the right thing.  Thank you for any info you can give me.
Have your physician test her for Diabetes.
TY
I was more concerned when I wrote this, but I have a friend who is a nurse and she was looking it up in her medical books and found that fever could cause the ketone levels to be high.  I find it strange the pediatrician did not tell me this.  I am still planning on having her tested though.  thank you