Diabetes - Type 1 Community
My 5 yr old and ketone levels
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My 5 yr old and ketone levels

I took my 5 year old to the pediatrician yesterday because I suspected a bladder infection.  When they tested her urine, there was no sugar in her urine but her ketones were 160.  I don't have a clue what this mens other than that the pediatrician said we needed to test it again after she gets over this illness, which turned out to be strep throat.  I am just trying to find out what this could mean.  The pediatrician said that her strep didn't have anything to do with it and that we would test it again in the morning next week.  Is it better to do this with a blood test?  I am concerned and want to be sure I am doing the right thing.  Thank you for any info you can give me.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Have your physician test her for Diabetes.
Blank
TY
I was more concerned when I wrote this, but I have a friend who is a nurse and she was looking it up in her medical books and found that fever could cause the ketone levels to be high.  I find it strange the pediatrician did not tell me this.  I am still planning on having her tested though.  thank you
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1472750_tn?1304727283
Blank
Lira_MHModerator commented on KJ268's status
Aug 25
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on Boys entering puberty...
Aug 24
139792_tn?1299416777
Blank
Dalubaba commented on photo
Aug 23
Diabetes - Type 1 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
16 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
233488_tn?1310696703