Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Normal glucose level for babies

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Normal glucose level for babies

What is the normal and abnormal glucose levels in babies?
I believe that normal glucose levels for people of all ages is the same: between 70-126 is the number range that many doctors use. But this is for fasting glucose levels only. After meals, it is normal for glucose levels to rise above this, and the numbers quoted as 'normal' vary, depending on which doctor you talk to. I have read that a number of about 140-150 is considered healthy for after-meal sugar levels. The reality is that healthy people's glucose levels change all day long, so numbers can go up or down above or below that 'normal' range without cause for alarm. The real health of the individual is whether the body produces enough insulin to lower a number that goes slightly above normal or whether the blood glucose stays high.
Please help. My daughter is 3 months old. When she was three weeks she was hospitalized because her soft spot was full, and she was lathargic and dehydrated. Since then she has been hospitalized several times for dehydration. The doctors have run blood tests and they did a spinal tap, and found nothing. Her sugar levels were at 107 four hours after eating and the doctor told me to take her for a glucose test, however the endocrnologist said that 107 was normal and wouldn't do the test. I am out of answers and my baby seems to just keep getting worse, and I don't know what to do. Please help me, give me something to look for, any suggestions would be helpful, please. I look at my baby and I know there is something wrong,and I am afraid that by the time they find out what is wrong it will be too late, so please, I don't care how off the wall the suggestion may be just give me anything to work with.

Thank you,
Christine
Queens NY