Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Normal glucose levels

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Normal glucose levels

Mine is more of a general question, because I can not find an answer to it anywhere.

In a normal Non Diabetic person, what is the highest (peak ) Glucose levels that are usually attained. If the Peak is below 200 is this considered normal? or is it much lower?

Thank you
I am not a doctor, so I can't give you a definitive answer to your question,if there even is one.  Like everything else with diabetes, I would guess that it might depend on age and weight  and other lifestyle factors.  The older and more overweight you are, the more likely those blood sugars are to rise a bit to 150 or maybe even 200 occasionally. A doctor might begin to warn you, but not necessarily treat or give the diagnosis of diabetes under those circumstances.   Whereas, if a younger, active, healthy person were to show those blood sugars, it would be cause for investigation and the possible diagnosis of diabetes.  As with most questions like yours, it is best to consult with your physician to be sure. If it is diabetes, the sooner you treat and control those blood sugars, the better your chances are for avoiding complications from diabetes.
Es
Thanks. I have Gestational Diabetes right now, and occasionally I will see it drift up in the 140's, but that is typically about an hour after eating (usually more carbs than I should). So I was wondering what is actually a normal peak level. Thanks again...

I test 4 times a day, and when I test my levels are always within normal ranges....

Thanks again
There are some books out by doctors that give pretty precise information about blood sugar before and after eating and that suggest that even in normal people, it will go up after a meal high in carbs.  "Normal is around 70's to 80's but can go up to 140.  They set 140 as an arbitrary line for the diagnosis of diabetes - anyone with higher than 140 BG is considered diabetic by most regular physicians - at least that is what various doctors told me.  Hope this helps.
Thanks Paralegal.... I will look into that..
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Control
May 23 by liltruck
dontworry_behappy1 commented on dontworry_behappy1's status
May 22
dontworry_behappy1 .....is rounding up the cows. Comment
May 21