Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Over eating at an early age.

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Over eating at an early age.

I work in a school system and recently encountered something unusual.    There is a 4 year old child, that, well let me try and explain the child is always eating.  She takes food, snacks from other children, goes through the garbage looking for food, she is wetting her pants at least 3 maybe 4 times a day.  She has been taken to the doctor, and the doctor seems to think all of this is ok.. I asked the parent if the child has gained weight?  She stated that she has gained  10-15 pounds over the last year.  My question is what can I tell these parents to help this child.  I suggested that they take her to another doctor, the weight gain, and the consistent over eating could be dangerous to the child.  She sometimes eats until she throws up and then still wants food.  How or what can I do to help this child?
Hello.  We are volunteers that are familiar with diabetes and it's management and complications.  The symptoms you note are not related to diabetes, so I'm not sure what other advice we could provide that you haven't already thought of.