Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Pain on insertion of infusion set
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain on insertion of infusion set

I am 35 year old, type I diabetic.  I have been on a pump for 6 years with few pump-related issues.  During the past four months I have experienced pain on insertion of my infusion set...pain gets so intense that I have to remove the newly inserted set and start all over.  When I experience the pain, I know that I will receive a "no delivery" notice when I attempted my next meal bolus.  Very frustrating.  It even hurts to put the least amount of pressure on the device.  I am using a Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm Quick Set infusion set, 6mm cannula.  Anyone have similar issues?  If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!
Related Discussions

I am not a physician, but the mom of a type one diabetic of a pump user.  My daughter uses the sill sets with per minimed pump.  She has had pains we have her stop using that area for 2-4 site changes.   As we have found it could mean a few things:

you are gong into  to muscle not fat layer.-   you do not what to  put the site in a muscle ,rather the fatty parts of the body like, butt, thigh, back of arm, belly.  

I would suggest you talk to your minimed or call minimed and ask them for samples of other types of site.  A different type of site might be better for you, such as the silo sets or sure t.

I hope this helps.  Good luck
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I use the comfort sets and have been pumping for 8 years. I recently have similar issues, but notice it before even putting it in and I tend to have a problem with hitting small blood vessels when trying to insert. My solution has been to try to find other sites to use. It's getting easier as I have more fat now then when starting pumping. I wonder if it is scar tissue or something that causes it.
Blank
pain with inserting infusions has never happened to me. NO DELIVERIES has though. i have found that the medtronic mini-med silhouette 13 mm( also called the short shilouette) works well. the # is MMT-382 for a 43" tubing. Medtronic sent me some samples. It goes in at a 45 degree angle. i believe it's pretty hard to hit muscle. I am 46 yrs old and weight 110- 113 lbs. I really do not have any fat, not really even in my stomach. The silhouette works real good for me. The only thing I really didn't like is I had to have my husband and 18 yr old daughter trained in how to insert. I use my stomach, belly thighs,back and even my butt. I needed them trained to get the areas i couldn't reach or see. I also switched from quick-sets. Good Luck.
Tina
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet