Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Pain on insertion of infusion set

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Pain on insertion of infusion set

I am 35 year old, type I diabetic.  I have been on a pump for 6 years with few pump-related issues.  During the past four months I have experienced pain on insertion of my infusion set...pain gets so intense that I have to remove the newly inserted set and start all over.  When I experience the pain, I know that I will receive a "no delivery" notice when I attempted my next meal bolus.  Very frustrating.  It even hurts to put the least amount of pressure on the device.  I am using a Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm Quick Set infusion set, 6mm cannula.  Anyone have similar issues?  If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!

I am not a physician, but the mom of a type one diabetic of a pump user.  My daughter uses the sill sets with per minimed pump.  She has had pains we have her stop using that area for 2-4 site changes.   As we have found it could mean a few things:

you are gong into  to muscle not fat layer.-   you do not what to  put the site in a muscle ,rather the fatty parts of the body like, butt, thigh, back of arm, belly.  

I would suggest you talk to your minimed or call minimed and ask them for samples of other types of site.  A different type of site might be better for you, such as the silo sets or sure t.

I hope this helps.  Good luck
I use the comfort sets and have been pumping for 8 years. I recently have similar issues, but notice it before even putting it in and I tend to have a problem with hitting small blood vessels when trying to insert. My solution has been to try to find other sites to use. It's getting easier as I have more fat now then when starting pumping. I wonder if it is scar tissue or something that causes it.
pain with inserting infusions has never happened to me. NO DELIVERIES has though. i have found that the medtronic mini-med silhouette 13 mm( also called the short shilouette) works well. the # is MMT-382 for a 43" tubing. Medtronic sent me some samples. It goes in at a 45 degree angle. i believe it's pretty hard to hit muscle. I am 46 yrs old and weight 110- 113 lbs. I really do not have any fat, not really even in my stomach. The silhouette works real good for me. The only thing I really didn't like is I had to have my husband and 18 yr old daughter trained in how to insert. I use my stomach, belly thighs,back and even my butt. I needed them trained to get the areas i couldn't reach or see. I also switched from quick-sets. Good Luck.
Tina