Pancreatic Cell Transplants
I was just reading up on pancreatic cell transplant- apparently there was a patient in Italy that received a transplant of pancreatic cells, and unlike previous attempts, they have seen her insulin free for about 15 months.  They created something called a bio-hub, here's a section of the article that talks about it:

"They were able to do this by creating a mini organ called a bio-hub. It’s a biological scaffold made of plasma and a blood clotting material loaded with islet cells from a donor pancreas. The bio-hub is placed into a pocket of abdominal fat that supports the cells while blood vessels grow in."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/11/28/type-1-diabetes-cure/

Have you done any research on pancreatic cell transplants?  Do they seem promising to you?  Do you think we will see a cure for Type 1 in our lifetimes?  

pancreatic cell transplant is an interesting area that is still experimental.

I tend to think that even in the future, if this did get to wider spread application, the cost will still be outside of most people's reach.

The medical people have been saying there'll be a cure in 5 years for the last 50 years..... so I am going to be a cynic and say I don't think there's going to be a cure.  

however, management nowaday, if properly utilised, can give excellent contol minimising complications and risk.

Use of very low carb diet "banting' / Paleo / ketogenic, can also go a very long way to making management easier.  

So overall I am very optimistic.  

Howeever the incidence of diabetes (all types) is increasing exponentially and so there is still much to be done.  Preventing new cases / minimising incidence would also be a very good focus.
Really good points!  Preventing and minimizing are probably more realistic.  That is probably true about the cost of a procedure like this as well.  Thanks for the thoughts.  :)