Pins & Needles
I have had diabetes since I was 21 - I am now 41 without too many complications though I have had laser treatment to my eyes. My problem is that I had an arthroscopic decompression operation on my left shoulder, 18 months ago, following breaking the shoulder 15 years earlier. It froze for about 4 months after he op which was very painful but physio and patience got it working again. For the first time in years, 6 months ago I was able to lay on my "favourite side" to go to sleep. Now suddenly I am getting very painful pins & needles in my fingers during the night plus a numbness/tingling sensation in the rest of my arm. Despite moving my arm, shoulder, elbow and wrist, this does not go off like ordinary pins and needles and keeps me awake about half an hour each time, sometimes 2/3 times a night.
Can anyone help?
My first though would be that it could be from just some blood vessle damage from the surgery.  But there are a few other possiblities.  Nerve damage from the surgery could cause it but since it is only happening at night it seems pretty unlikely.  The only other thing I can think of is blood vessel damage again but from damage from keytones and high blood sugars.  The only recommendation I can make is to ask your doctor.