Pre-diabetic?
Tks for taking my question. i will provide a short profile. Male, 40, non drinker, cholesteral levels normal, have some heart palpitations-benign, about 10 lbs overweight, mother is type 2 insulin dependent at 59, dad is diabetic but not insulin dependent-managed through diet. I have noticed that my fasting glucose levels have gone up over the last three years from 86.4 in 1999 to 100 in 2005. I also bought a blood glucose monitor and notice my readings in the mornings after 8 hrs of not eating are consistently around 99 to 115.  After eating two hours later after a starchy food high in carbs or sugar my readings are around 113 to 108. Not sure whether thats acceptable or not.

My question is: I am concerned I am prediabetic as I often get thirsty in the evenings and tend to urinate often.  I also feel like a general malaise at times, legs want to give in and when I check my blood levels it is around 108 when I feel like this.

For the most part my response readings after eating 2 hrs after seem ok- not sure. I want to avoid insulin and try to maintain a good health status. What are the 5 main things I can do now to remain healthy? Pls comment on the above.

tks very much,
Hello abeybaby,

I am a volunteer, not a medical professional, so it is always wise to follow up with a physician in regards to any concerns you may have.

My son almost 11 yrs. old was diagnosed with type 1 at age 3, so I am a lot more familiar with type 1 than type 2.

Here is some information I found a month or so ago when searching for the same info. you are requesting.  (I was concerned about my daughter - non-diabetic and wanted to know more about blood sugar ranges)  I hope this info. is helpful:

What is a fasting blood sugar test?

A fasting blood sugar test measures the amount of sugar (glucose) in your blood after you fast for eight hours.

What's normal?

Your fasting blood sugar is normal if it's 70 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or 3.88 millimoles per liter (mmol/L), to 100 mg/dL (5.55 mmol/L).

What level suggests prediabetes?

If your fasting blood sugar is 100 mg/dL (5.55 mmol/L) to 125 mg/dL (6.94 mmol/L),  you may have prediabetes.

What level suggests type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

A fasting blood sugar value by itself doesn't help distinguish between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. But a fasting blood glucose of 126 mg/dL (7.00 mmol/L) or higher is consistent with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes when accompanied by classic symptoms of diabetes
Actually notice a general maillase when the blood levels are at 4,8 or 86 levels? Then upon eating something i feel ok loose that weak feeling in my legs. Also notice I get palpitations more so with a lower blood reading like 86 ...
Hi again abeybaby,

You're smart to keep alert to potential signs and to do what you can to avoid developing diabetes.

Folks who are treated for diabetes sometimes experience low blood sugar *symptoms* even when their blood sugar is normal or above, but if their level is dropping somewhat quickly.  Some of us Type 1s, for example, will feel as if we're low when we drop from say, 180 to 130 because an insulin shot has kicked in.

For someone with a stressed pancreas (as a pre-diabetic may have), it could be that the pancreas responds sluggishly or incompletely to the presence of carbos and that when the insulin finally kicks in, you feel it.  It migth be interesting to watch for patterns so you could possibly do a test 30 minutes prior to "those feelings" and then again when get 'em.

You asked for 5 things you can do.  Please discuss recommendations with your doctor, because not everyone will be advised to do all these things and each persons strategy must consider their whole health situation.

In general, however, my readings reveal that an individual at risk for pre- or diabetes should talk to their doc about including these strategies:
(1) getting weight to healthy-normal range & keeping it there
(2) maintaining an active life style with regular & safe aerobic and weight-bearing exercises.
(3) avoiding simple sugars and empty sugary calories (sugar-sweetened beverages, candies, etc.)
(4) eating a well-balanced diet rich in complex carbos and minimally-processed fruits, veges, lean proteins.
(5) keeping well-hydrated, get plenty of rest, and manage life's stresses as they come.

I read your recent post where you commented having eated a high-carbo meal including meat, corn & peas.  Corn & peas are starchy veges, but assuming they're prepared simply, they are good sources of complex carbohydrates.  You might find it itneresting to read over some books on glycemic index (in essence, how quickly/slowly specific foods are converted to blood sugar) and you can develop a robust understanding of how to choose foods.