Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Pregnancy and Juvanile diabetes controled with a pump

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

My sons girlfriend is 20 and has Juvenile diabetes that is controlled by a pump that is filled with meds twice a month.  She found out she was pregnant five weeks ago and lost the baby a couple weeks after finding out.  This was unplanned (sort of - she refuses to use any type of birth control) How dangerous is it for her to get pregnant? Or is it safe.  I keep telling my son that it could be dangerous for her but he doesnt believe me and wants proof.
Help -  Thanks  
Many women with type 1 diabetes have had children.  There is no danger to her or the baby as long as she takes care of herself.  She may need to keep a closer eye on her blood sugars during pregnancy as the hormonal swings may influence blood glucose levels.  A pregnancy alone is not dangerous for most diabetic females.
I am not a physician, but the mom of a type one diabetic on an insulin pump.  It depends on how good of control her blood sugars areas to where she or not it is safe.  Her endocrinologist is the best one to say if it is safe or not.  I do know of several diabetics that have healthy safe pregnancies.   most of the time they  the should be considered high risk just so that they can be monitored more often as higher blood sugars  in the mom could mean higher birth weights.

I would have your son talk to his girlfriend about going to the doctor with her and finding out form him/her what the real deal is, as everyone is different.  I will tell you that her being on the pump (meds changed every 3-4 days) is a very good thing.

I hope this information helps. You might also want to go to www.jdrf.org to the on line diabetes support team and ask as they might have someone who has been there, done that.

Please check back and let us know how it is going
I totally agree with both postings above this. I have been diabetic since age 12 and I had two healthy pregnancies with healthy children as a result. No problems.

However, there IS a risk to both mom and baby if glucose levels are high when a woman becomes pregnant and stay high throughout the pregnancy. Loss of the fetus is more common among poorly-controlled diabetic women than among healthy non-diabetic women. So if poor glucose control is an issue, then she certainly should tighten up her glucose control before getting  pregnant. Birth defects or loss of the baby are more common if glucose levels are high.
I wanted to let u know that I have 4 children and I was on 4 insulin shots a day. I had a GYN that was a diabetic and took very good care of me. I also keep very close eye on my blood sugars. And I ate well so I wouldn't gain more than I was expected to.  My girls were bigger than the boys. And my last was the one thats BS dropped right after she was born, but they handled it and she is now 23. I think if she takes good care of herself pre-pregnancy, than she would be fine. But they are so so young :( I belive miscarriages happen for reasons... A Nun told my daughter at 18 that she and he had better HAVE ate there Veggies so this baby would be healthy. People think its all about the baby in the belly and eating well then. But your body needs to be healthy before hand, and so does the Mans. And being a diabetic means taking really good care of yourself before, during, and after. Maybe u should talk to them both about this. Babys of diabetic Moms need to be thought of, before conceving. Look at Hally Berry, Yrs of eating veggies and meat only,and exercise, she made her body so healthy and now that she is pregnant and this baby has such a good chance of being healthy. I remember taking my shots and three of my kids would watch. My youngest would count to three, one , two, three, shoot mommy. The oldest son would cover his eyes, my oldest daughter held my other hand and would rub it. After the shot they'd say Mommy your alright....I wish u Blessing
I'm a type 1 diabetic and I'm 10 weeks pregnant.  My blood sugars are between 6.0 and 11.0 and sometimes they can get up to as high as 16.0 but not often.  I'm just curious if this is okay or if the highs will have a major effect on the baby?
If by 6.0-11.0 bs range you are referring to your A1c levels then that would be a major concern. For pregnant diabetics doctors like your a1c to be 6.0 or lower. I would advise you to get to a doctor ASAP.