Problems with Lantus insulin quality
I have been type I diabetic for nearly 28 years and have been on Lantus for 20 years.  I am now 38.  Over the past three years I have had 2 very scary experiences with Lantus.  I inject a dose at night before bed.  On both occurrences my sugar dropped so low and I was forced to constantly eat for the next 24 hours or go to the hospital to avoid unconsciousness.  I did not accidentally inject Novolog.  These were both brand new bottles used for the first time, stored correctly in the refrigerator and well within the expiration date.  Once was with the solostar pen and the other time it was with a vial.  Neither time did I hit a vein.  Both times it took me 2 days to figure out that it was the insulin.  And both times, as soon as I threw out the 'new' bottle and started a different bottle everything was fine.  Has anyone else had this problem and lived to tell about it?  This is extremely dangerous and coupled with all of the nasty side effects of Lantus, I am currently preparing to switch to an insulin pump.  
Hi there!

I am not really sure what could have been the issue here, though I find it difficult to believe for sample to be responsible since all of these are standardized and checked before being marketed. Other possible causes include inadequate dietary intake, stress, inflammation, autonomic causes etc. Since these were just two episodes a change in management plan may not be required, though one would need to be hypervigilant about low blood sugar values in future.

Take care!