Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Question about A1C, honeymoon stage?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Question about A1C, honeymoon stage?

Thanks to all who have responded prior.

This is such a learning experience for all. Once you think you have all down pat you learn something else!! I just read where i dont have to keep my sons Novolog or Lantus refridgerated after the first use! Do you know i threw away half a novolog vial because it was carried around in my purse at my daughters ball game to long!!! Well better safe then sorry i guess smiles.

I am going to join JDRF as well. Missed the Sugar free easter egg hunt this go around. I am also joining CWD(Children with Diabetes) they have a wonderful Quilt of Life that they put on show to represent all children with diabetes and to raise awareness check it out at www.childrenwithdiabetes.com and click on Quilt of Life.

Can someone explain to me about A1C levels and the honeymoon stage?, i think that is the correct name for it? My son has his first appt for Endo clinic next month i cant wait because i think he is in the honeymoon stage now.

MM
Hello!  I'm glad you are choosing to join with JDRF.  I'm a parent of a kid with diabetes, just like you.  JDRF is a wonderful organization, and the only one solely focused on type 1 diabetes research.  Children with Diabetes is also a wonderful organization, and the Quilt for Life display is very powerful.  We have submitted our quilt square (a 3 foot by 3 foot square), the link to it is here:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/quilt/pages/1/q451i.htm

The honeymoon is the period of time shortly after the diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes during which there is some restoration of insulin production and the blood sugar levels improve to normal, or near-normal, levels. The theory goes that when external insulin is first given, the pancreas becomes less stressed, and can actually begin producing insulin on it's own.  Unfortunately, like other honeymoons, this diabetes honeymoon doesn't last forever; it may last for weeks, months, or occasionally, years.  Some people never have a honeymoon, some honeymoons last a long time.  My daughter has been honeymooning for over 2 years now, and I've talked to people whose kids are honeymooning for over 3 years.  The majority do not last that long, though, typically it's a few months at most.  

A1C is also called the HbA1c.  It is a 3 month average for the red blood cells in your system.  Hemoglobin is the part of red blood cells that carries oxygen to the cells and sometimes joins with glucose. Because the glucose stays attached for the life of the cell (about 4 months), a test to measure hemoglobin A1c shows what the person's average blood glucose level was for that period of time.  The value of your A1c is the amount of glucose that is attached to that hemoglobin.  The higher your average blood sugars, the higher your A1c value.  The better control you have, the lower your A1c will be.  

Please let us know if you have any more questions!  Good luck!
I am a parent of a 7 year old.  We just been told that he is in the honeymoon stage.  I am confused, one day is sugar level is all over the place and the next thing it right on the dot of being perfect. Is this normal?  If he would be at his dad's house right now he would think i'm nuts because his levels are great.
about the honeymoon stage .... how can you tell when it is coming to an end?  also, how does it affect the numbers and the treatment?
You can tell when the honeymoon stage is coming to an end when your blood sugar starts to rise and you have to increase your insulin doses to get the same results. During the honeymoon your body is still producing some of its own insulin, when it ends you are producing less or none so you need more injected insulin to control blood sugar.
Nobody can give you exact numbers as to how the end of the honeymoon affects your blood sugar as we are all different.