Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Recently diagnosed with type1 diabetes

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Recently diagnosed with type1 diabetes

Hi everyone! Im a worried mom of a 15 year old boy who was diagnosed with t1 5 days ago. Saddest day of my life. If i could just get his diabetes, i would. Im still confused with the treatment, normal, hi's and low's and everything about it but im doing my best to know everything. His weight is 34 kg. and the doctor gave him 10 units of humulin 70/30 every morning and 8 units in the evening. Rescue dose of 6 units humulin regular if his bs rises by lunch. For the past 2 days his bs is low before lunch so no need for the rescue dose. But yesterday at 3 pm before his snack his bs was 242. Worried and confused i gave him a shot of humulin reg 6 units. Gave his meal of 2 wheat bread and 4 sausages. By 6:30 i noticed his weakness and his bs was 72, gave him a juice and 2 crackers. 8:00 pm 189 bs, gave him 70/30 of 8 units then dinner. I really dont know if im doing it right. Today he got a high at 3 pm again 245 bs. Decided to call his dr and told me not to give the rescue dose since its for lunch time only. The dr said to just skip his snack. By 6pm today his bs was 142. He took the 8 units 70/30 and ate dinner. Please help. Im also worried that he needs to go back to school next week. I dont know if he can do it on his own. Knowing that he's not the type of person who says what he feels. Thanks for taking time reading my post.
Hi there!

I understand the situation you must be going through and I appreciate your concern at this time. The blood sugar may take some time to settle after the initial diagnosis, after the stress level comes down and calorie intake is stabilised. Aside the elevated levels, it is important to make the child understand the risks of a low blood sugar levels. As the blood sugar levels stabilize over the next few weeks, less frequent checking would be required. I would suggest asking him to do the blood testing himself at home a few times and decide what action needs to be taken. Hopefully things will settle with time.

Take care!