Recently found I'm type 1 diabetic
I am 21 years old, had a had a baby a year ago and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost 1 month and a half ago. And I have definitely noticed a significant amount of weight gain. I am still trying to get a handle on my diabetes. I am using FlexPen and take 2 shots of 24 units a day. I am starting to get depressed by all the weight gain and even just the daily fight with my Blood Glucose. I need someone to talk to who understands because I try to talk to my husband but he just doesn't understand.
Hi there!

I understand what you must be going through. It must be difficult getting adjusted with a baby and newly diagnosed diabetes. The weight will gradually settle itself once a control of blood sugar level is achieved and I would suggest not worrying about it. Regular exercise is usually recommended which would help in weight control as well as control of blood sugar levels. Aside medications, the total calorie intake and calorie distribution into carbohydrate, proteins and fats is important. You could see a dietician/ nutritionist for charting of a diet plan. Hopefully things would settle soon as the blood sugar levels become stable.

Take care!

sorry  you had to join the club!  Anyway, let's see what we can do to help.

First, you need some really good resources.  Two books I strongly recommend are:-

Think Like a Pancreas (John Walsh)
Diabetes Solutions (Dr. Richard Bernstein).

Sounds like you are using a mixed insulin if you are just taking 2 shots a day.  Ask your doctor if you can instead use a basal-bolus system. This is where you use a long acting insulin to cover your base insulin needs - usually injected twice a day, and a short acting insulin befroe meals to cover what you ate.  Using basal bolus you are less likely to have to eat to prevent going low becuase you can better control how much insulin you will be taking and tailore the insulin to your actual food intake.

I strongly recommend that you eat low carb.  This dramatically increases ability to control blood sugars.  The second book is excellent in this regard.  Once you have better control on the blood sugars (with a more flexible insulin regime) you may find that managing weight becomes easier.