Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Schol Attendence

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Schol Attendence

I am Natalie and i am 17 and in school. I have type 1 diabetes and i have had a few problems with it over the past few years. The trouble is that due to the problems i have i get ill very easily and miss days from school every now and again. The school has now said that as i have missed days that i am no longer entitled to EMA payments and have sent various notes complaining about my attendance. I feel rather discriminated against by the school, and feel they are not doing enough to understand the issues that i face day to day. Does anybody know of any action to take against the school for the discrimination i feel i am being put forward to by the school in particular? DO i even have any justifiable reasons for compliant?

Thanks xx
Hello.  I'm not a medical professional, or a legal professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  They are absolutely discriminating against you.  Bring them copies of the Americans with Disabilities Act, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

Then I'd file for a 504 plan, which is authorized by the section 504 law I mentioned above.  Here's some info on 504s:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

They need to accomodate you if they take any kind of federal funding.
My daughter is 16 and also has diabetes.  She has a IEP, which is an Individual Education Plan.  They have to accommodate you because of your illness.  My daughter also misses a lot of school and with this IEP she has a homebound tutor that kicks in when she misses.  You need to meet with your daughter's principle and councilor and talk to them about this.  You are not alone~!
hi natalie, you talk about EMA so i'm assuming you're from england? I have a similar problem and at the present time am trying to find some answers, my daughter is 13 and has not until recently had great control over her diabetes which she's had since she was 2 i have applied to take her to Australia for a month (2 weeks from Easter holidays) and they have refused it saying her attendance is 85% also her year 8 tests- are the week we come back, I feel very angry that they have mentioned her attendance as she seems to pick up everything going and when she is ill she seems to take longer to get better, I feel she is being somewhat discriminated against and was even called to the head teacher about her attendance.If I find out anything I will let you know.