Seizures and diabetes type 1
My 9 year old granddaughter has type 1 diabetes.  She was diagnosed with an abscessed tooth.  About the same time, she started having small seizures.  Has anyone else experienced the same thing?  She's currently in the hospital.  She was having as many as 100 small seizures a day.  Quite scarey!
Hi Bev!  I am so sorry to hear that your granddaughter is going through such a hard time right now.  We are not medical professionals, just volunteers with experience with type 1 diabetes.  What does her doctor say about the seizures?  Are they being caused by low blood sugars?  I hope that they can get to the bottom of this as I agree, it must be very scary for both you and your granddaughter and the whole family!  Please keep us posted if it is a diabetes related situation and perhaps we can help you out with that.  Good luck.
Thank you.
Her blood sugars are mostly high right now.  She has a bad abscessed tooth that needs to be pulled.  Her dentist has put her on antibiotics until they can pull it.  Wondering if a bad infection in her body might contribute to the seizures.
Hello BevSells,
I'm another volunteer and not a medical professional.  Seizures can be caused by so many things, including low blood sugars.

It would be good to talk to your grandchild's physician about the potential relationship (if any) between an infection in one's mouth/head (gum/oral & sinus infections are sometimes related, too) and seizures.  Because everything you're reporting is happening in such close space & time, it seems reasonable that you're checking into any association.

I hope that things stabilize for you all soon -- and that you'll let us know how things are progressing.