Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Seizures

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Seizures

My son is 18 years old and was diagnosed with  Diabetes Type A 10 years ago.
During the past 10 years we have been through some highs and lows (literally).
Tonight at about 2 a.m. my son experienced a seizure.  He was crying out, had muscle convoltions,was foaming at the mouth and totally unresponsive.
As I was about to administer glucogen, he came to, but was vague and had no recollection of the incident.
At that point I helped him check his blood sugar level, and to my surprize it was 4,1.
I have been reading comments from other diabetics about hyper and hypoglycemic seizures, but surely a level of 4,1 falls into neither catagory.  Now I'm really worried that he has epilepsy as well as diabetes.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar...Please help.
Vanessa
Tags: seizures
I'm going to assume you mean Type 1, not " type A" . There is still a good possibility that your son's seizure was related to hypoglycemia. When we are very low our our livers dump insulin to bring our blood sugar up. So he might have been significantly lower than 4.1 (72). However, I would still have him checked out by his doctor to see if there could in fact be something else going on.
Avatar n tn
hi, my partner has been suffering with seizures since he was 18 years old, he is also diabetic diagnosed type 1 at 11 years old, the seizure you described is exactly what my partner has, he is now on his fourth specialist, the 3 prior to this have given up his case as they dont know what the cause are, he didnt have any for two years at one point, but august last year he started having them again, that was the first one i saw him have, its not nice to see, its scares me sometimes, we just have to hope that this specialist can give us some answers, as he has not been allowed to work, and this really frustrates him, as he is someone that wants to work, he has no tell tell signs as to when he is going to have one, he had them when his sugar was low, but in the last few months they have been at night and his sugar has been between 10 and 17, if you need any advice or just somone to talk to, my e-mail is loll.***@****, i am here if you or your son need someone to talk to, my partner said you are in his thoughts as he is going through what your son is going through, please dont hesitate to email me, as we may be able to help each other.
Thank you so very much for your response and kind offer.  I will indeed e-mail you.  Thank you again.
Vanessa
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr is enjoying warm weather th... Comment
MH Community Mgr commented on Des_a_rae's status
May 23
MH Community Mgr commented on cast out
May 21