Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Severe Rash

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Severe Rash

My father has had insulin dependent diabetes for 20 plus years, he is in his 70's now.  Within the past year he has developed a rash which has gradually spread to all his body with intense itching.  Now his blood sugars are running in the 400-500's. His diet has not changed nor has he changed any products in the house. He goes to his endocrinologist on a regular basis with no helpful results, and he has been to a dermitologist without any help. The rash just continues.  The pharmacists state this could be contributing to his high blood sugars.  My next move is to try to get him appointment at the U. of Michigan hospital for evaluation.  Has anyone had any experience with severe rash with diabetes?
Very concerned daughter,
sltomas
Avatar n tn
It sounds to me like he may be caught in a cycle where an allergic reaction (or another condition) may be causing the rash which is causing the high blood sugars which are keeping the rash from healing.  His dermatologist and endocrinologist will need to work together on this one.  The blood sugars cannot continue to be this high no matter what is causing them so the diabetes regimen may need to change for now.  If he gets his blood sugars back to normal the rash may heal.  Also, there are some medications used to treat rashes that may cause high blood sugars but I am certain the doctor would have discussed that.

I am not sure if he has Type 1 or Type 2 but there is a condition that several people with Type 1 diabetes also have called Celiac Sprue and one of the symptoms is a skin rash but other than that, I have not heard of diabetes causing a rash. I wish I had more to offer.  Please keep us updated.  Have a wonderful holiday season.
Avatar n tn
I'm also not an MD, but I wonder -- especially with the dangerously high blood sugars -- about yeast (candida) infections.  Normally, yeast infections thrive in warm moist body areas, but they can spread and unfortunately, the systems of an uncontrolled diabetic are quite pleasant for yeast to grow.

It's important for your dad to work with a doc who's very well versed in diabetes and perhaps that doc will also consult with other specialists.

I hope he'll find some relief soon.  Whatever he is willing to do to gradually & steadily bring his blood sugars under better control will also help him a tremendous amount.
Avatar n tn

Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr uploaded new photos
Nighthawk61 commented on Nighthawk61's status
Aug 10
Nighthawk61 commented on Guest1992's status
Aug 08