Shingles and the Diabetic
My dad is a diabetic and has the shingles.  His sores have started to weep.  What can I do to convince him that he has to see a doctor.  He does not want to go.
Hi JF!  I am not a medical professional, just a volunteer with 15 years of diabetes experience.  I would like you to encourage your father to see his physician as soon as possible and obtain his or her advice as to how to proceed with this situation.  I am sure that he is very uncomfortable and may not be feeling too well to make an informed decision, but it really is in his best interest to seek medical care at this time.  Anytime a diabetic has an infection or any type of open wound, they are at a higher risk of infection.  With shingles, you don't want this problem to get any worse than it has to be.  How have his blood glucose readings been?  Maybe you can persuade him to go so that he is feeling better for the upcoming holiday.  Good luck with this and please let us know how you make out.
After reading your note last evening i read up on Shingles and please do everything you can to get your father to see a doctor about this problem. It is a disorder cause by the chicken-pox virus and can in some cases prove fatal. But mostly it is the painful open sores you describe. And since diabetics have such a poor response to infection should be reason enough alone. i know because after a car accident while getting my leg operated on for the third time it got infected and because hospitals use so much antibacterial cleansers only the truly serious one survive and it was either lose the leg or it was going to turn systemic and kill me, not much of a choice. i understand how many people don't relish going to the doctor but as diabetics they should try to get over that, either on their own or through talk therapy. The thing to remember is that no matter how bad your case seems the doctor has probably seen worse. i'm hoping all goes well for your father. This advice is not from a doctor but a fellow diabetic, who knows diabetes is not to be messed with because it will come back to haunt you. peace, bret
i am a agent orange vet diabete come down with shingles do i have a service connected disabilty claim