Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Sleepy all the time, speech difficulty, fatigued, disoriented, eyes fee...

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Sleepy all the time, speech difficulty, fatigued, disoriented, eyes feel dry

I was wondering if this sounds like a diabetes problem to anyone. I am a 26 year old male. For the last 4 years I have been having this pressure feeling in my head every morning after waking up that lasts most of the day. I feel sleepy all day long but when I try to sleep during the day I can't fall asleep. I sleep fine at night but I wake up feeling unrefreshed everyday. I have problems with finding the right words pronouncing words, my memory is terrible. I feel foggy headed or disoriented all the time My vision is not blurred but seem slow to refocus and not clear my eyes feel puffy and dry but they water excessively sometimes. I have an almost constant tinnitus problem. I'm not overweight an it doesn't seem to be diet related as I have went on just water, fruits and vegis for a 3 week period and felt the same. Sometimes I get this popping in my neck and have a hard time swallowing. I have lived in three different areas so its not environmental. Drinking more than 3 drinks of alcohol makes me feel bad for 3 days or more. Does this sound possibly diabetes related? It runs in my family but no one has these symptoms that I know of.
HickoryGuy,
As you may know, we're all volunteers here and not medical professionals.  One of the most important things I can suggest for you to do is to talk with your doctor about these symptoms.  

While nothing that you describe sounds like classical diabetes symptoms, it's clear that you're not feeling well, and these issues have lasted for quite some time.  I strongly recommend that you find a doctor you can discuss these symptoms with, and between now & when you see him/her, keep a small notebook of signficant things:  diet, activities, times of day you notice feeling better/worse, things that help/worsen the tinnitis, any other aches or pains and what makes those things come & go.

Lack of sleep -- or rather lack of restful sleep -- can make everything else harder includingn concentration & memory.  If you're married, ask you spouse whether you seem to sleep peacefully, or if you're moving around a lot or snoring or or or anything else that would indicate something physical going on to prevent restful sleep.

I hope you can find out what's going on, because discovering that will be the first step to feeling better.

I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about running a thyroid panel.  A good endocrinologist would be who you would want to talk to and that person could manage any potential blood sugar problems too.
I would get your thyroid checked. I have diabetes T1 and Thyroid and some of those are the symptoms from my thyroid.
Do you snore at night?  You might suffer from sleep apnea as well.  YOu might also ask your md for a sleep study.
I have all of your symptoms and more of my own - how are you feeling now? Did you ever get a diagnosis? I would like to write to you about my diagnosis  if you are inerested.
I have been feeling many of the same symptoms you describe for about one year. I have trouble with memory, remembering words and difficult logic problem (I program and do mathematics for a living). More relevant to my discovery are the pressure, the foggines and tinnitus.

At first the quacks diagnosed me with sleep apnea but after three months on a cpap this did not help at my unrelentant urging (he said I was having somatic symptoms and that I should see a shrink) the quack sent me to have a CT scan and an EEG. The CT scan urged him to have an MRI taken where he discovered demyelination. I am now scheduled to see a neurologist.

Demyelination is a result of a host of different Central nervous system inflammtory diseases.

Go tell your quack you want an MRI to make sure you do not have a neurodegenrative disease.  
Hi HickoryGuy,

The symptoms you describe are identicle to those that I am currently experiencing. I have been seeing my primary care doc for diagnosis. He has done a neck x-ray CT scan of chest and abdoman. He has done blood test for diabetes, kidney, liver, thyroid problems. Today I am going for an EMG (muscel and neorologial test). To date there has been no diagnosis. I have been put on Zoloft because the symptoms are similar to or causing depression. The Zoloft has not improved my condition. I had suspected diabetes also. I purchased a home tester to monitor my blood sugar. It has been averaging around 94 ...good. There were two ocassions when is spiked to 158 but I also, modified my diet to reduce the blood sugar spikes. This has not helped either.

My personal opinion at this point is either depression or lyme disease or both. I was bitten by a tic two years ago and had a blood test due to fatigue at that time. The test was negative for the antibodies that fight lyme disease. I have not yet been tested for the actual lyme bacteria. My doctor has not suggested it yet. The condition has been so severe for the past two months that I am unable to perform day to day functions.

I am very interested in your progress and would like to share mine if you are interested

thank you for sharing this.
15 years back when I was 25 I had this sleepy feeling and minor unstedyness,memmory loss,difficulty in speaking etc.This started for me when I was feeling nervous during that time due to work tension and insecurity.But this problem got sorted out when i started taking Trienergic tablets and now I am 40.Two years back I started playing badminton and for the last one year I ave this problem again and intensity is more with unstediness while walking.Doctor prescribed vertin and I took it for a month it was reduced to half and I could manage.Now the last one month I have developed tinitus and unstediness(this time also when I had this problem I was under tension in work and insecurity) and did audiogram and is normal and did a stediness discorder test and diagnosed "Peripheral Vestibular Lesion".Doctor has prescribed stugeron and he said he will teach some excercise after a month.I will keep u updated about mine.
I did GTT test for sugar and is normal.Other blood test TC DC are normal.Lipid profile is normal.
  I am trying some YOGAs and some improvement is there
If anybody has any suggestion pls post.
I,m not sure about all the symtoms (symptoms) but I agree with other posts that it could be thyroid problems and the pressure in your head and puffy but runny eyes is probably allergies.