Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Stomach pain and type 1

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Stomach pain and type 1

My 10-year-old daughter was diagnosed with type one in September. She was doing really well with her bgs until about 6 weeks ago. At that time, her bgs began running high. She also started to complain of stomach pain. The stomach pain has gotten more severe of late. It seems to be worse when she eats and is sometimes accompanied by bloating. When she was diagnosed, they tested her for celliac disease and the test was negative. Her pediatrition couldn't find anything "wrong" with her. Her endo team has been making some adjustments in her insulin but she is still running high...none of the changes seem to be making a difference. What can we do to help her numbers come back down into target? Is the stomach pain related to diabetes? Could she develop celliac disease in the past few months? Thank you for your input...I am very worried about her and need some advice. Thanks :)
Have they checked for infection?  CBC?  Often a hgih blood sugar could be due to infection.

particularly I was thinking about things like appendicitis which can present in a chronic form, which is harder to diagnose.  Bloating and pain with eating can also be things like gall bladder, but she is too young for that.

I assume she's been tested and cleared for parasites?

You should also know that the celiac testing can be false negative.  ie. she has celiac and it didn't show.  Best thing is to try a gluten free diet.  You could try an elimination diet for a few weeks to see if it helps.  Would start with eliminating gluten and dairy (this often goes hand in hand with celiac) and see how she goes.  If it is celiac she should start feeling better in just a few days.

let us know what happens.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Dalubaba commented on 5+years facing my unk...
kenv is ... Comment
Feb 20
Super_sally888 Welcome 2015 Comment
Jan 26