Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Stomach pain from insulin??

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Stomach pain from insulin??

I am 21 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in March.  I am taking Humalog and Lanus.  For the past 2 months I have had severe abdomen pain in my lower right quadrant.  The pain gets worse when I eat and when it gets really bad it radiates to my lower back.  I had a CT scan and it showed my intestines were inflamed, I just had a colonoscopy last week and my results were normal.  I have seen that some insulin has been known to cause some stomach problems like pancreatitis, my question is have any of you ever heard of these symptoms in relation to insulin use or diabetes in general?

Thanks,
JR
I just posted what we are going through with our son and stomach pain.  The only thing I can tell you is our son's pediatrician just ordered blood work per a GI Dr.  One thing you said that stuck out to me is you mentioned back pain.  One of the things there are going to look for in our son's blood work (which we have not done until next week) is something with the pancreas function, and she said it is something that will cause stomach pain that also goes through to the back.  Speak to the Dr. about blood work for liver testing and testing with the pancreas functions, maybe even talk to a GI Dr....Good luck, I hope you find the cause as i certainly hope we can figure it out for my son....Also, keep a journal of your pain and symptoms before and after the attack, it could help the Dr.  
Hello - I am the parent of a 9 y.o. with diabetes (originally said to be type 1 but now they are looking into MODY).  Our daughter is not Celiac -

She has a very high pain tolerance but has had intermitent bouts with stomach pain over the past year and a half - which is when her diabetes started.  Some of her stomach pains were so severe that it has ended us in the emergency room.

I can say that we have gotten to a point of nearly ZERO stomach aches and pains by either removing or significantly reducing her intake of dairy (milk and cheese), processed foods, high wheat foods and complex carbs (bread, pasta, white rice etc).  We also increased her intake of fresh fruits, veggies and natural foods.  And added a fiber supplement (benefiber) just to help her body with digestion and processing what she does eat.

The pancreas has multiple functions in that it produces and secretes hormones (including insulin) and digestive enzymes necessary to break down carbs, protein and fat.

I actually found this website just this evening looking for some type of study about the pancreas and its' other functions and how it could affect a person with insulin dependent diabetes.....

While you are writing down and tracking your (or your son's) bouts of stomach pain - you may also want to document your food and eating schedule.  See if there are items (too much cheese/dairy, complex carbs etc) that you could cut out of your diet and see if it helps.  You don't have anything to lose.  

We are 100% sure that this has helped our daughter - but I am determined to find a study or something to help substantiate our findings so that I can forward that information to other parents that deal with our same frustrations.  

It is such a powerless feeling to just watch my daughter in pain.  We are new to diabetes (11 months) but we have always been a very nutritionally conscious family.  

By keeping her diet clean and simple - we have made a huge difference in our daughters stomach aches.  

Good luck and keep trying to figure it out!    

Wchadd
I hate to admit it, but I am 59 yrs old and diagosed a Type II diabetic.  I am currently on Lantus at night and Humulog before meals and after about 2 weeks of getting back on insulin my stomach starting hurting severely.  I went to bed and staryed there for days because every movement severely hurt.  I tried laying very still to get some kind of relief.  The information pamplet that comes with Lantus states that it may cause stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting.  So far, I have experienced all three.  My question is this, is there any insulin that doesn't cause stomach pain?
My daughter (6 years old) was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed a month ago and have been complaining about stomach pain, sometimes worst than others. With her stomach pain, she also experiences horrible chest pain that comes and goes. I have taken her to her pediatrician, and am now demanding to see a specialist because sometimes she is doubled over in pain. What crazy it that once we get to the hospital, the pain is not as severe. The doctors assumed that she was lying about it, but I know thats untrue. I don't know what to do anymore. Her endocrinologist told me she tested positive for Celiac, but later on told me it may not be that. I'm at a lost and am looking for answers they are not giving me.. Anyone else experienced these symptoms.. please help.. -a concerned mother