Sugar blocker
Does anyone know how sugar blockers affect diabetes?  What about long term.  Is it safe to use?
I thought your response might be something like that.  I saw a sugar blocker in the health food store and was curious especially what the long term affects it might be.

Do you have any thoughts on cinnamon or Holy Basil?

I am currently on meds but would love to gain control a more natural way.  I have consulted my physician about herbs but he is reluctant to advise me on that approach.  
Along with my meds, I am using cinnamon (
Miss Sassy,
That's a great question and one I urge you to talk over frankly with your doc.  My guess is that there's a lotta frustration behind it.

I'm not a physician, but I'm highly skeptical of all the seemingly "magic" pills that claim to help folks lose weight, or maintain good blood sugars.  What I'm skeptical about is that it seems to me that each of us has to work hard, thru lifestyle changes, ways of eating, increasing our physical activity ... to be healthy for a long time.  

However, until we develop new habits & start seeing some results, doing all that can feel just TOO DIFFICULT!  It's not surprising that folks'll then look to a quick fix. I think that the hard truth is -- in the end -- it all comes back to lifestyle changes, ways of eating, and increasing our physical activity.  It's not pretty, it's not fancy, it's certainly not easy, but it works safely.

I suppose my bottom line is that it's better to for me spend potential "sugar blocker" dollars on new walking shoes or a big bag of garden fresh salad veges or some wonderfully refreshing iced teas or a crosswork puzzle book.  I wish you success, Miss Sassy, and hope you'll find some good support for diabetes management.  It's not easy.
Hi again, Miss Sassy,
I did a little research and found this info on a variety on pills to aid in the treatment of (type 2) diabetes.  In case you or others were thinking about "sugar blockers" as a way to describe the general class of meds to help treat Type 2 diabetes, this info from Joslin might be helpful.

http://www.joslin.harvard.edu/education/library/beginnerguide.shtml

These meds are available only by Rx from a physician and are completely different from the ones sold online, on TV, or in "health" stores.

Good luck!